Monday, June 29, 2009

Almost there!

Well a lot has happened! I got the body and assorted parts back from the painter on thursday and pretty much since then I have been full throttle getting her back together. Sorry if I didn't really take pictures of the putting back together but I was really really focused on finishing it up as quickly as possible.

Here's some pics for your enjoyment, ok mostly mine:




So as you can see I have it all put back together except the mounting of the engine. Ever since the flywheel nut disaster I've had some problems getting the engine back together. Mostly the damn clutch nut keeps stripping. I'm waiting on a new one from Dave at scootermercato.com so I can put it all back together again and install it on this beauty.

Here's what I learned from putting this thing back together.

1. When installing the legshield trim use masking tape (or painter's tape) to cover up the new paint job, otherwise you will end up with some good scratches like I did, that now need to be touched up.

2. The leg shield trim is not that hard to do, just follow the instructions in the shop manuals. Although I couldn't find one specific to the 150 Super I did read the one for the PX which was very useful for all sorts of maintanence questions. An absolute must read.

3. When installing the wiring, I had three bundles of three wires each which made it much easier. Make sure to install two of the bundles on the throttle side of the headset. The clutch side is rather congested with 2 gear cables and the clutch cable. I made it work on that side with two bundles but it wasn't worth the hassle. I was too far along to change it.

4. Give yourself tons of extra wire! I had to solder on some lenghts to the headset to reach the ignition switch terminals. Not a big deal but a little bit of a hassle.

5. Tell your paint guy to cover up half of the rear brake pedal arm. Also tell him to cover up the headset pieces for the front fork.

6. Go ahead and install the clutch and throttle tubes on the headset first before installing the headset on the body. Make sure you have the tubes on there facing the right direction. Not a big deal on the clutch side because it's obvious but on the throttle side it is easy to get the holes for the cables on the wrong side.

Otherwise everything else was real straight forward for me and I really didn't have any major problems putting it all back together. Now for the engine and too see if my electic system works. Yikes.

2 comments:

  1. Hi,
    Will you please post a link to your Blog at The Vespa Community? Our members will love it.
    Members include: Vespa Owners, Experts, Collectors, Restoration, Clubs, Vintage Folk, etc.
    It's easy to do, just cut and paste the link and it automatically links back to your website. You can also add Photos, Videos and Classifieds if you like.
    Email me if you need any help or would like me to do it for you.
    Please feel free to share as often and as much as you like.
    The Vespa Community: http://www.vorts.com/vespas/
    I hope you consider sharing with us.
    Thank you,
    James Kaufman, Editor

    ReplyDelete